The Angry Type 2 Diabetic: Metformin and PCOS: Taking the Plunge... with Googly Eyes

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Metformin and PCOS: Taking the Plunge... with Googly Eyes

"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all." -- J.K. Rowling

I've been on every diet, I think. Every way of eating, or not eating, or thinking... or approaching. I've had the most success with intuitive eating, and with mindful control of carbohydrates, or lowered carbohydrate eating... and I stick to that.

People will say do this, do that, do the other... you're not doing it right, you ought to do x, y, and z... (while they ought to shut their pie holes.)

I've been on the chicken and lettuce diet, the LA diet, the beat juice diet, the LA Juice Fast diet... The 700 calorie a day, 36 grams of carbohydrate starvation diet... Weight Watchers, Doctor's Weight Loss, etc, etc...

You name it.

But with intuitive eating, and lower carb eating, I've lost the most weight and kept the most weight off long term -- AND, been happy.

Time passes by, however... and not in vain. I'm no longer 15.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is taking it's toll on me, and while I've fought hard... with exercise, lowered carbs, birth control, and supplements for 20 YEARS.... I am now ready to admit that I need some help with it, and start a regular course of Metformin on top of my birth control regimen, and my Inositol.

A lot of people might see this as some sort of failure, or disappointment, but it's not. It's just a next step in management -- and in GOOD health. And my blood glucose numbers are fine, actually... But the hair that keeps camping on my face (while leaving my head), the continuous acne, darkening Acanthosis Nigricans around my neck, and the weight I've been putting on are NOT. I have MORE than paid my dues... and I'm quite happy to accept some help so that I don't spend more hours than I need to plucking hair. >:S

I don't feel bad about this decision; I actually feel quite relieved... I feel like maybe my ovaries won't get crushed under this weight, and I might have a chance (not that I want to, right now) to have a brat or two, one day. Who knows.

Or... maybe I might find a man who loves me and gets to see me while I actually still look like a woman -- and not, you know... like Homer Simpson. (Though there might be men out there who like the Homer Simpson look... Again, who knows.)

In any case, I am officially on Met... and no, my goal is not to get off of it, somehow. I will likely never get off of it. Even if my blood sugars are perfect; even if I weigh a 100 lbs. PCOS is a vicious disease... And in these 20 years, I've been so many different weights, it's not even funny. 170, 128, 190, 142, 248, 170... I know it's not going to go away, magically, with the next Dr. Douchebag's Book of Eat Green Raw Crap From the Ground, and Cure All Your Ailments with Monkey Poop.

So... why not do the NEXT best thing? Yes, I know you know...
PUT GOOGLY EYES ON THAT BIG ASS BOTTLE OF METFORMIN.

One should always put googly eyes on things one is hesitant to trust 

Take that, bitch. Ain't no one gonna make me feel like I'm downing horse pills. lol I will laugh at you... every time I see you. xD Bwahahahahahahaha.

What's in your pill and supplement arsenal? I'll show you mine, if you show me yours...






2 comments:

  1. i applaud your decision! i have been on met for 2 yrs. i, too, have no plans on going off tho my dr says i can. met does so much other than regulate insulin.

    ReplyDelete